The Will to Win

It's a WILL to win, and not just a WISH to win. I know a lot of people who have what I would call a wish to win. They'd like to go to the top. They daydream about the position they'd like to hold in life. I've seen fellows sitting around dreaming on the benches; you talk to them and they've got great dreams about what they'd like to be. They tell you their potential, about the heights they could soar to, if they would only get out and work and do the thing necessary to bring it to pass.

And you find them three or four years later still talking about what they could do if the ywould only pay the price. Wishful thinking, or daydreaming, is the kind of escapism, that will destroy many a man's greatest aspiration.

Now, I don't mean you dare no dream at all. I think the greatest thing in life is to be able to dream, to have great aspirations, but I think its equally importabnt that you have a will that can turn that dream into reality. You've got to have something within you that is able to translate into concrete practice the idea in the back of your mind.

From The Heart of a Champion by Bob Richards

No comments:

Post a Comment