Work is Worship... or is it ????

This monday, I came across a company where the employees leave their footwear in a footwear stand before they enter into the office. The security person informed us that its a company policy.

I was with a friend of mine and both of us were surprised. I rejected to go in on the matter of principle. Then I got thinking what might be the reason behind it. I had couple of guesses but kept them to myself. When we got down the lift, we came across an employee of that company and my friend asked him about it and his reply was because it is a "place of worship".

I was traveling that night and this reason got me thinking:

a. If that office was a place  of worship, then what are they worshipping??? The company is there to make money, and the employees work there for money, does it mean they worship money in that office?? 

b. If its work that they worship at office, then what is the final objective of the work they do, for the company, its profits and for the employees, its salary. Comes back to money again.


Then, I went into the analysis of what might have made the company boss(es) to come up  with such a policy. I did not like what I came up with.


Then again, who am I to comment on how a company should run and what policies the company should have. Atleast, they are running a business, which is more than what I am doing.


However, the policy was very interesting. I am sure I would not go there again, but the experience shall remain with me as one of those interesting facts that you come across in life. Lets see if there are any more such places.



2 comments:

  1. I had a teacher in high school who had a "no shoes in classroom" policy, because she considered learning was worship (she used the word tapas, meaning penance for it).
    Even though she relaxed the policy for students, she always removed her footwear in a corner as soon as she entered a classroom. I hear she continues this practice to this day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment and for taking the time out to read the post.
      A first on my blog post. Brought a big smile to my face.
      I agree with the teacher. She followed her policy which is ingrained in her belief. What made me smile was that she relaxed the policy for students but followed herself. The choice was left for students.

      This was missing in the above office which was a call-center. The management was forcing employees and visitors to follow their beliefs (worship by leaving footwear out???).

      Delete